Thursday, July 5, 2012

Presentation Ideas for Homemade Desserts

Frosted Brownies
(in patriotic cupcake liners)


Like many people I anticipate the holidays but then they seem to pass quickly, like the 4Th of July has come and gone.  Before we know it Christmas will be here.
Yesterday to celebrate the 4Th of July we attended a family barbecue, of course since I like to make desserts that is what I offered to bring. As I looked through my cupboards and kitchen I came up with two ideas for desserts.  Then I had to think how was I going to decorate these or what was going to be my best presentation for them to celebrate the theme.
Stars and stripes,red, white and blue colors and flags all came to mind. At first I thought I didn't have anything to work with.I did a quick search through my baking supplies and I found a couple of items that I could use.
So today I'm not going to share any recipes with you instead I'm going to share what I did for my desserts. Nothing fancy nothing big, in fact for some this could just be a reminder to you  don't forget to check your cupboards and baking supplies for ideas. Be creative and enjoy!

My first dessert items was Frosted Brownies. 
Items


Decorative cupcake liners
A frosting tip with piping bag
Candy sprinkles or nuts
Cupcake picks

Frosted Brownies
(plated on a platter)

Close up of Frosted Brownies
(in a patriotic cupcake liners on platter)


When my brownies were cooled (I place them in the refrigerator for about an hour if time allows, it makes cutting them easier) I  cut them in my desired size.  Then I take the brownie place it in the liner. Now I apply the frosting (I place the frosting in the piping bag with tip attached) in a design I feel would make a great presentation. This time I did a zig zag look on top. Then I placed sprinkles or nuts on the frosting (I used chopped peanuts, mini chocolate chips and left some plane. I also found some flag cupcake of picks and placed them in a couple of brownies as well (not shown in pictures).
After I put these together they looked really nice. It was a great presentation.



Star crusted Apricot Pie

My second dessert was Homemade Apricot Pie with Star Crust
Items
Star Cookie Cutter(medium size)




Star shaped crust placed overlapping
on top of pie
Pie brushed with egg wash and sugar
before baked




So  my pie tin was ready with a bottom crust in it and the apricot filling. What I needed to decide was how I was going to decorate this for the theme in the top crust. So instead of making a full top crust with one cut out star in the middle, I decided it would look better for presentation to overlap a bunch of stars across the top of the pie. Brushed with a little egg wash and sugar and my presentation was complete.
I pictured in my mind the filling bubbling through the little open spaces on to the crust, making the overall outcome look rustic and so it did!

Remember, have fun and make it yours.


Star Crust Apricot Pie

And that's the "DISH" for today!



No comments:

Post a Comment