Friday, March 30, 2012

Lowfat Egg Salad

OK, so I am still working on lowfat recipes and thought I would share this Lowfat Egg Salad recipe.  One day I was trying to figure out what I wanted for lunch. Mind you, I'm still trying to watch sugar, fat and carbs. So, I thinking of making a salad but what could I have on it as my protein. Hard boiled eggs are great on a salad but I also would like something to be creamy to replace a salad dressing too. Egg salad for sandwiches is like that. I start to gather some ingredients I have on hand. In the refrigerator I have some fat free cream cheese, fat free sour cream, onions and sugar free sweet pickles. Great, I start to put my recipe together and you know what, it turned out good. Take a look at the recipe. Use your imagination. There are different options you can use in this like fat free mayo, chives, black olives, celery and or a sugar sweet relish. You can serve on any type of bread (like a Pita, English muffin, bagel or baguette) for a sandwich or just place some on top of lettuce for a salad.

Lowfat Egg Salad

Ingredients:
2 hard boiled eggs (shelled and chopped)
1 tbsp fat free cream cheese (soft I used Kraft)
1 tbsp fat free sour cream(I used Kraft)
2 tbsp finely chopped white onion
1 tbsp sugar free sweet pickle juice(I used Valsic)
salt(I use salt substitute)
ground pepper
Lettuce (optional)
Bread(optional)

In a medium sized bowl cream together cream cheese, sour cream and pickle juice. Then add eggs, onions, salt and pepper to taste. I have found sometimes after you put the recipe together I want a little bit more of one or more ingredients.  That's how I adjust to taste.
Now for plating I take my serving plate  and place a hand full of lettuce (I use bagged lettuce)
in the center of the plate then add a nice scoop of the Egg Salad on top. You could also make that sandwich like I mentioned above.  For my salad I also added tomatoes, sliced red onions and cucumbers and the side. All those different colors make a great presentation if your having someone over lunch.

Remember have fun and make it yours.


And that's the "DISH" for today!





No comments:

Post a Comment