Thursday, March 1, 2012

White Cake Pancakes with Fresh Strawberries & Cream

Have you ever had one of those mornings when you had something in mind to make for breakfast and realize your missing an ingredient you need to make it. Oh, many times it has happened to me. That's why I do a lot of improvising.  So this morning, I thought I would make my husband some pancakes before he goes out to work. I start the coffee, first of all(I have to have my coffee). Then I look in the cupboard and realize I am really low on flour and I don't have any boxed pancake mix either. I do see a box of white cake mix though. Heehee, I think to myself, I wonder if my husband will notice the difference. Besides, who said you can't have cake for breakfast, right! So, I proceed to make the mix adjusting it to a batter consistency for pancakes. I cut some fresh strawberries also and a spoon of whipped cream, Mm Mm.
My husband enjoyed his breakfast and off he went to work. No complaints! Yes, I tasted them too. I thought they were light(they come out thin and small)and tasty. I think I like them better than regular pancake batter.
 You can add different flavors to a white mix or hey, you can even use a different flavor of cake mix too. Like, how about strawberry cake mix, spice cake, carrot cake and oh..what about a lemon with a blueberry syrup or topping. The possibilities are endless! Use your imagination and enjoy.


White Cake Pancakes with Fresh Strawberries & Cream

Ingredients:
1 box white cake mix(or your choice)
1-2 cups milk(or water,depending on batter consistency)
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
1 tbsp sugar(or corn syrup,optional)
5 large strawberries(cleaned & sliced thinly)
Cool Whip


Clean and thinly slice strawberries, place in a bowl.  Then add syrup or sugar and  set aside until you are ready to plate your pancakes.

In a large bowl mix, cake mix, milk, oil, eggs with whisk. Mix until a loose pancake batter(you don't want the batter real thick, it may cook faster on the bottom of the pancake than the middle and burn).
Place a large frying pan on low heat and spray with cooking spray.  After pan is heated, spoon batter in pan to your preference of size pancake (I made them small 4-5 inches, this batter was a little more delicate to flip than a regular pancake batter, try one first, like I did). Cook pancakes and place on platter when done. I made about 12 pancakes, serving 2-3 people, so you might have left over batter. I would just refrigerate it and try and use it again.
For plating, I placed 2 pancakes on a plate, overlapping each other. Then I place a teaspoon of cool whip on top of pancakes. Next, I spoon strawberries over the top of cream (as little or much as you like).


I'm all about having fun, trying something new and experimenting.

Remember, have fun and make it yours.



And that's the "DISH" for today!


No comments:

Post a Comment