Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Asian Chicken Rice Plate (Bowl)

Today I have a easy chicken and rice dish recipe for you. I am sure we have all seen the restaurants (and
some of the fast food chains) that serve teriyaki chicken bowls. I know in our town we have them and that's what made me think of making this recipe for dinner last night. This recipe doesn't take too long to make about 40 minutes. Though I did cheat a little and used a rice steamer, it saved me time. You can make your rice on the stove top, it's up too you. The reason this recipe is called Asian Chicken is due to the fact I use a fat free Asian salad dressing for the sauce. There are different variations for this dish as well. You can substitute the vegetables for a favorite of your own, add water chestnuts, use beef or pork strips
instead of chicken, use teriyaki sauce or your favorite sauce to put over chicken. You just have to use
your imagination and enjoy. This recipe serves 2.


Asian Chicken Rice Plate (Bowl)

Ingredients:

6 chicken tender strips (boneless skinless, fresh or frozen)
2 cups asparagus (cleaned and cut, fresh or frozen)
2 cups broccoli cauliflower mix (I used frozen)
3/4 cup sliced yellow onion ( then cut into quarters)
3-4 tbsp oil
1 cup fat free Asian salad dressing ( I used Sunny Select)
3 cups cooked white rice
2 tsp garlic salt (I use the one with parsley in it)




In a large fry pan place oil and turn on medium heat. When the oil is hot add the chicken. Sprinkle 1 tsp of the garlic salt over the chicken. Cook the chicken till slightly brown on both sides(it will continue to cook when the vegetables are added also). Next add all the vegetables on top of the chicken, sprinkle 1 tsp garlic salt over the vegetables cover the pan and cook on high for about 7-10 minutes. Then stir the vegetables around and cook for another 5 minutes. When vegetables are cooked remove them from the pan and place them in a bowl and set aside. In the frying pan add the Asian dressing to the chicken and cook on low for 1-2 minutes so the chicken can get coated in the dressing. Then remove chicken to cutting board and cut into pieces.
For plating I used a plate for a larger serving but you can serve this in a bowl. I first place the 1 1/2 cups of rice on the plate and spread it out just a little. Next I place 1 cup of vegetables over the rice and then 1 cup of chicken over the vegetables. For extra flavor I drizzle some more Asian dressing over the chicken.
For garnish you can serve it with a cup of Asian dressing on the side and with some chow mein noodles or some fried wontons. You could even try serving it with soup. These are just some suggestions.

Just a fun note, I do not serve bread with this dish myself. When I served it to my husband (who happens to love bread and potatoes) he said "Where's the bread?" I kind of laughed and said "You don't get bread with this." Then he grabbed a lemon cupcake(which I had made earlier) from the counter and said "Now I have to have this!"with a smile on his face. What an excuse to get dessert, huh!




Remember have fun and make it yours.


And that's the "Dish" for today!


No comments:

Post a Comment