Saturday, May 12, 2012

Edible Strawberry Arrangement

Edible Strawberry Arrangement


I have a great and simple gift you could give someone for Mother's Day! When it comes to gifts what could be better than making something yourself. Gifts that are homemade come from the heart. When the recipient sees the gift they know it took your time and thought to prepare this for them. No matter how it turns out, I believe they have more appreciation for the gift. I have made these edible arrangements before for my mom and she loved it.
 I took a trip to the local dollar store and bought the majority of the items I needed there (flowers, leaves, ribbon, flower pot and flora styrofoam). The rest of the ingredients I either had on hand or picked up at the local grocery store. If I didn't have a local dollar store in the area then I would prefer to go to the closest Super Walmart Store. They will have a craft area and grocery area which are less expensive then the other local grocery stores. If your budget is tight this is an excellent gift. All the items I bought cost less then $12.00. The price could be different depending on what type of fruit(s) you are using. I used just strawberries. Some other suggestions would be add grapes(4-5 to a skewer), pineapple chunks(4-5 to skewer), chunks of watermelon, chunks of cantaloupe or honeydew melon. You can even dip some of the fruit in chocolate. You can use your imagination, be creative.

Edible Strawberry Arrangement


Ingredients / Supplies:

1 spool of ribbon(your choice of color, I used wired ribbon)
1 5 inch flower pot (or size of your choice and type)
1 4 inch floral styrofoam circle (or your choice of size and type of styrofoam)
1 8 bamboo skewers (or a package in case of errors)
1 bunch of artificial flowers( your choice, I used a small white)
1-2 bunches of artificial leaves(your choice, I used Ivy leaves)
8 fresh strawberries (or a package for size variation)


Ingredients/Supplies
Arranging leaves

First I place the styrofoam inside the flower pot. Then I start arranging the leaves in the foam( I cut them off the wire stems and push them in the foam), I place some low next to rim of pot to hide the foam. Then I place some sitting higher(when I cut them I leave a longer stem).  Next you can arrange the flowers in between the leaves. Then you cut the skewers(some taller than others) and push the pointed end through the strawberry(stem side and not all the way through).

Arranging Strawberries on skewers
 Now you can arrange them in between the flower arrangement. Fill in any empty or open spots with just some leaves(even if they just sit inside between the skewers). Then I take some ribbon (enough to wrap around and make a bough)wrap around the rim of the pot and make a bow. I bend the wire in ribbon to make a ripple look on the bow. If the bow starts to slip of the rim use a little scotch tape and place it under the ribbon in a couple of areas. This should hold it up or you can use hot glue if you prefer. Look at your arrangement and make any adjustments needed. I believe you will enjoy this, not to mention it's great to get the kids involved to make this a project. This makes 1 arrangement .



Remember have fun and make it yours.

And that's the "DISH" for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment