Friday, May 18, 2012

Zucchini Coconut Cake

Kids eat your vegetables! This might be the sure way to get kids to eat their vegetables.
What child doesn't like something sweet. I found this Zucchini Coconut Cake recipe not too overly sweet so you can add that drizzle of frosting and not feel guilty. You might be surprised when your child asked if they can have a second piece (lets be positive now..laughing)! You can bake this recipe like a muffin (12 standard), mini muffins(24) or a cake ( your choice).

I chose the bundt cake for the reason I wanted to drizzle the frosting over the cake. I thought it would make a great presentation. Unfortunately, I ended up going to see family shorty after it came out of the oven. So I plated the cake while it was still warm. I brought the cake and the frosting with me so that when it cooled I could drizzle the frosting over it. Being in a hurry to get going, I forgot the toasted coconut for garnish. Let's just say I ended up bringing home about 4 slices. There are no pictures for this recipe except for one. One piece of cake plated, but I wanted to try and show you the inside of the cake. The color and look of  the texture.

It is a more dense cake but just right, not to heavy and not so overly light that you feel like your eating nothing but air. You can adjust this recipe an add more or less zucchini, carrots, your favorite nuts or how about even fruit or dried fruit. Raisins or dried cranberries. That burgundy color from the cranberries and green from zucchini would look and taste great together.  For the frosting I used a vanilla premade store bought( I heat it up in microwave for about 20 seconds or for your the right drizzle consistency) but you could make your own glaze as well (oh, what about chocolate drizzle!). These are just a few suggestions be creative and enjoy!

Zucchini Coconut Cake
(A slice plated)


Zucchini Coconut Cake


Ingredients:

2 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup oil ( I prefer canola)
3/4 cup brown sugar ( I used light)
1 tsp ground ginger
2 cups flour (I used all purpose)
1 tsp salt (I used Kosher)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups grated zucchini (unpeeled, about 2 medium size zucchini)
1/2 cup shredded coconut (or flaked)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease the pan (I used cooking spray, for muffins you can also use liners instead).

In a large mixing bowl (or counter top mixer) beat together eggs, oil, honey and sugar until smooth.
Next add all the dry ingredients until mixed well. Then add zucchini and coconut. Place batter in your prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until done ( I always use the cake tester about 25 minutes into baking to see if I need to adjust the time). When the cake is done remove from oven and let cool.

Once cooled, you can plate this on your favorite cake plate or cake stand. Then frost your cake and garnish with some toasted coconut. For presentation you could even place a couple of slices of zucchini on the side leaning against the cake. Just use your imagination.


Remember have fun and make it yours.

And that's the "DISH" for today!


No comments:

Post a Comment