Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Taco Salad in Tortilla Shell Bowls

Taco Salad in Tortilla Shell Bowl
(Close up)


Tortilla shell bowls.... the perfect way to compliment a taco salad.

I had plans on just making burritos for dinner one night. Then I got to thinking, you know I'm going to change it up and turn this into a taco salad night. Then I started searching on how I was going to shape my tortilla shells. In the past I had fried the shells in the deep fryer, with the empty can method but this time I wanted to bake them.
So I took my smallest glass bowls I had (which were Pyrex brand, two new ones and one older style) in my cupboard. From rim to rim they measured 7 inches. The older one was about 6 inches. They were perfect for the tortilla shells( I used medium soft taco size). I made some Spanish rice to serve on the side and dinner was done! Of course you can use this with your favorite beans like, black beans, re-fried beans, chili beans even kidney beans. Serve this with  chips & salsa or guacamole on the side. Maybe a dessert dish can be made with this???? Use your imagination and enjoy. This is a festive little bowl.

Taco Salad in Tortilla Shell Bowls

Ingredients:
4  tortilla shells ( medium soft taco size is what I used)
1 lb. ground beef ( I used 85/15, or your choice)
1 taco seasoning mix packet (or your choice, I use the Enchilada seasoning packet, it's milder)
3/4 cup water
1 can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
1 bag lettuce (your choice, I used pre-washed  romaine)
1 cup shredded cheese (your choice, I used mozzarella)
1 cup diced tomatoes
3/4 cup diced onions (your choice, I used yellow onion)
Sour cream (optional)
Salsa (optional)

Preheat over to 400 degrees.

Glass Bowl
(to bake tortilla shells in)

Take your bowls and spray them with cooking spray. Place bowls on cooking sheet(I fit all three on one cooking sheet). Take the tortilla a gently press into the middle of the bowl (if it's easier for you, you can also heat the shell up first to slightly soften in the microwave for about 20 seconds or so). You will have creases in the shell. Then spray the tortilla shell in the inside lightly with cooking spray(this will make it a little more crispy in my opinion). Then place cooking sheet in oven and bake for about 12-15 minutes (depends on how crispy you like your tortilla shells to be). When baked to your liking remove from oven and let sit until ready to serve.
Cook ground beef in a large skillet. When done, add water and seasoning mix. Cook until most of water is absorbed and ground beef is seasoned.
For assembly you can use your favorite serving platter or individual plate. Then I usually take a dash of sour cream and place it in the middle of the plate to hold the shell in place. I take a tortilla bowl and place it on the plate, next add the ground beef mixer, then some beans, then the lettuce, tomatoes, onions, dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of shredded cheese on top of that. There you have your taco salad!
I usually place a little more beans around the top of lettuce for presentation. I think it looks as good as it tastes!  This will make  about 4 tortilla shell bowls.

Remember have fun and make it yours.

Taco Salad in Tortilla Shell
(Plated)


And that's the "DISH" for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment