Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cabbage Roll (stuffed with Garlic Italian Seasoned Rice)

Dad's garden grown Cabbage!
11 lb. Cabbage


An 11 lb Cabbage WOW! That's exactly what I said to my dad the other day when I saw this enormous cabbage sitting on his counter. "Where did you get this?" I asked him. "Take it, it's yours" he said. He told me it was out of his garden. In which he only grew three. One he gave to my brother which happened to have been just slightly bigger, he gave one to me and the last one he was keeping. So I cut  the cabbage and began to think what I could make with this. Of course there's coleslaw or you can throw it in with some chow-mien noodles, steam it with vegetables or just saute it. I was going for the cabbage roll. So I started going through the cupboards and this is the recipe I made. This cabbage roll is stuffed with an Garlic Italian Seasoned Rice and topped with a sweet red pasta sauce.  When I was putting these together it was very hard to keep the rice away from my mouth...you know what I'm talking about.
While the Cabbage Roll is baking, the air is filled with this sweet tomato aroma Mm. It makes you want to grab a piece of garlic bread and stand by! After the Cabbage Roll is baked and sprinkled with a little more cheese, the steamy goodness will rise as you start to plate them. Then you take your first bite and then the next and the next....sorry no words to describe, only goodness! This is light, not over powering in garlic flavor and so you can adjust to your taste. My boys even said they were good and their not much of cabbage eaters( and their 21 and 24)....kids!   I used all items from my cupboard.
Well experiment with it and see what you can come up with.
Cabbage Roll
(plated on salad dish)


Cabbage Rolls


Ingredients:

1 head of cabbage (8 leaves)
3 cups cooked rice
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasonings
1/2 grated Parmesan
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp crushed garlic
32 oz red pasta sauce (your choice, homemade or canned)
   (I used  1- 24oz can of Hunt's garlic & herb pasta sauce and 1-14.5oz can of diced tomatoes then I add my own seasonings as well)
1 tbsp olive oil

Top Garnish
Parmesan cheese (optional)
shredded mozzarella (optional)


Assembling Cabbage Roll

Garlic Italian Seasoned Rice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large sauce pan bring some water to a boil. In the mean time in a small frying pan saute crushed garlic in olive oil till golden brown. When done set aside until ready to combine in rice.
In a medium bowl combine rice, Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, garlic powder, sauteed garlic until mixed well and set aside. Now take your cabbage leaves and place them in the water and boil them till tender 4-5 minutes (you don't want them too stiff or too limber either way might crack or put a break in the leaf). When the the leaves or done remove them( I placed my in a strainer and grabbed as needed for assembly) and prepare for rolling.

Placing Cabbage Rolls
in baking dish

Pour remaining pasta sauce
over top of Cabbage Rolls

Take a 7.5 x11 baking dish,spray with cooking spray and place a layer of sauce on bottom.
Now for assembling, take a cabbage leaf lay it out on a working area then take a tablespoon (or more) of the rice mixture and roll it up in the cabbage leaf. I try to roll it like a burrito (if it rips no worries just keep rolling holding it together firm, use a tooth pick to hold together if you need too after,  I did). Then place in baking dish and continue with the rest of the leaves. This makes 8 Cabbage Rolls.  After all the rolls are complete take remaining sauce and pour over the top of the Cabbage rolls top with a sprinkle of Parmesan and or mozzarella and bake for 20-25 minutes.
You can serve this as a main dish or a side dish(that's what I did). Serve this with a salad and or garlic bread.



Remember, have fun and make it yours.



And that's the "DISH" for today!


No comments:

Post a Comment