Friday, May 11, 2012

Potato Gnocchi

Potato Gnocchi


I am a typical Italian. I love pasta! I have to limit myself from cooking it too often. You know they say too much of a good thing isn't good for us (joking!). I say if it tastes good and makes you feel good, then go for it. So, lately I have been wanting to make a pasta dish. I thought to myself, ravioli or gnocchi sounds real good. I remember my mom making potato gnocchi and ricotta gnocchi. I had both ingredients on hand but I decided to make the potato gnocchi. I know you see most recipes make potato gnocchi with fresh potatoes but if you follow me you know I'm about what's on hand, what's in the cupboard and what's convenient. Today was about convenience. I used instant mashed potatoes for this recipe and you know what? It was great!
I love the way the gnocchi has a doughy soft texture. Your mouth starts to water as you watch the gnocchi dredged in sauce move towards your mouth to tantalize your taste buds. As you pull the fork away from your mouth, your eyes are shut and your mouth mutters Mm slowly. Savoring the flavor until the next gnocchi arrives. How else could I explain this but by sharing how I felt while eating them (laughing).
 I just made a regular pasta sauce no meat to cover my gnocchi. Some suggestions would be to use  pesto with Parmesan, Alfredo sauce (white sauce) or just drizzle olive oil and Parmesan over the top. You could serve this as a side dish or a meal. You can adjust the seasoning in the gnocchi dough as well, to your liking.  Be creative and "GODERE"( Enjoy in Italian).

Potato Gnocchi

Ingredients:

2 3/4 cups instant mashed potato
3 eggs
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 cups flour (some additional for rolling and storing)

In a large bowl (or counter top mixer) place instant mashed potatoes, nutmeg, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cheese. Next add warm milk and mix well. Then add eggs and mix, then add the flour slowly.  After the flour is mixed well, if the dough seems to sticky to to handle you can add additional flour if needed. The dough will be slightly sticky though. Remove dough and place on floured work area. You can knead the dough slightly adding that additional flour till firm. Then I form a the dough into a ball and cut it into quarters.
Dough rolled into rope
Cut then rolled on fork
Roll each quarter of dough, like the form of a rope about 1/2 inch wide. The length will vary. They will seem to be quite long once you start rolling them. Don't worry you will use every bit, for your servings. Once you have them rolled out, next cut pieces by 1/2 inch size down the whole rope.  Keeping them on flour as you cut them (that way they don't start sticking together).
Dough cut into quarters
(This gives you an idea of the texture)


Rolling dough on grater


 Next take the piece of dough and roll it down the side of a cheese grater or a fork to make indention in the gnocchi (the indention holds the sauce on the gnocchi). Once you are done forming the gnocchi you can refrigerate them. Just make sure you place flour on the bottom of the container or pan you are using and in between each layer of gnocchi so they don't stick. I used mine right away. I also refrigerated some and cooked them later in the evening.
Strainer to place dough
in and take out of pan

To cook, place a large sauce pan filled with water on high to boil.  Once water is boiling you can add the gnocchi (I place the gnocchi in a hand strainer to shake off excess flour then I drop in water) and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes(the gnocchi will float to the top when done). Drain the gnocchi and plate.
This recipes serves 4.

You can plate this on your favorite pasta platter or individually plate the servings. You can top with your favorite sauce and cheese. Garnish with some fresh basil or olives.


Remember have fun and make it yours.

Potato Gnocchi
(Close up)


And that's the "DISH" for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment