Thursday, May 10, 2012

Low Sugar Blueberry Muffins

Low Sugar Blueberry Muffin
(Standard size close up)

Recently I have been trying recipes using Chick Pea Flour( also called Cici Flour or Garbanzo Bean Flour and other names as well). This flour has a distinctive taste. It has a nutty flavor. After it's baked, the looks and texture reminds me of corn meal but that's just my opinion. So I put together this recipe that is fairly easy and I think you  will enjoy it. As pretty much all my recipes, you can substitute some ingredients and make it your own. I make this recipe with Stevia zero calorie sweetener which makes this recipe very low in sugar. Using the chick pea flour also gives you more vitamins than the all purpose flour. Though I find the calories between the two flours are not that big of a difference.
This is a great muffin for breakfast, luncheon, tea and or a snack.
Some suggestions for you, use your favorite fruit in place of the blueberries, add nuts and top with a glaze or a dust of powdered sugar. Serve with tea or coffee.

Mother's Day is coming up and this is a great addition to your menu!


Low Sugar Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups chick pea flour (garbanzo bean flour , I used Red Mill)
5 tsp  baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 cups frozen blueberries
6 oz. nonfat Greek yogurt (I used Fage, 1 individual container is 6 oz)
2 eggs
3/4 cup Stevia Sugar(natural zero calorie granulated sweetener)
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tsp almond extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl (or counter top mixer)mix together eggs, yogurt, oil, sugar, salt and almond extract. Then add flour, baking powder and mix well. Next add the blueberries and fold in with large spoon by hand ( Just a note:I do this by hand so the batter doesn't grab too much of the blueberry coloring and if there is some ice build up around my blueberries I place them in a strainer and rinse them first. Then I pat them dry so again the batter doesn't grab all that color after you combine them.). The batter should be a thick consistency.
Take a standard cupcake tray and line it with 11-12 cupcake liners. Now with a standard ice cream scoop or tablespoon, fill the liners to the top(I filled mine to the top, at times it looked a little over too, but that's alright.). Filling mine to the top I was able to get 11 standard muffins. For smaller muffins use a mini cupcake or muffin pan.
Place on middle rack in oven and bake for 15-16 minutes until done.

 Low Sugar Blueberry Muffins
(Displayed stacked on a cake plate)


For plating you can place them on a cake stand, on your favorite platter or individually plate them. You can dust them with powdered sugar or while they are warm place a drizzle of icing over them for a glaze. Be creative and  use your imagination.


Remember, have fun and make it yours.



And that's the "DISH" for today!


No comments:

Post a Comment