Saturday, February 18, 2012

Coffee & Crepes

How does Banana Carmel Cream Crepes sound!
For breakfast you ask, yes indeed. These crepes are made with  a pancake batter thinned out. I was having coffee this morning and thought, what am I going to have for breakfast. At first, I was going for biscuits. Then pancake and french toast came to mind. I chose the pancake because I thought, it doesn't have to be heavy I can make them light and thin like a crepe. The fruit I had on hand was bananas.  So I will give you the recipe and remember you can improvise, experiment and use what you have on hand.

Crepe (Pancake)
Ingredients:

1egg
1 1/4 cup Milk
2 Tbsp Oil
1 cup Flour (I used all purpose)
2 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar 



 








In a mixing bowl combine flour, sugars,salt, baking powder. Then add egg,oil and milk. Whisk together until smooth. Sometimes you see some lumps but if you let the batter sit for a minute and whisk again they dissolve. Heat frying pan on low (you can use cooking spray on pan  before you place batter in). After pan is heated pour about 1/2 cup batter in pan, lift pan off burner and make circular motion to spread batter to edges. Place back on burner. Just like pancakes you will see the bubbles form. If your good with the frying pan you can flip crepe over in pan. If your not like me I take  plastic wide spatula and loosen around the sides and underneath then flip. It doesn't take long to cook. You want it kind of flimsy. When cooked remove and place on plate and continue with the next one. This should make about 5-6 crepes(depending on how thick or thin you make them).
 
Banana Filling

2 Bananas
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Margarine
2 Tbsp Carmel topping
Whipped Topping(optional)
Oil

Slice bananas up. In a frying pan, place enough oil to fry banana slices till brown on each side. After banana slices are brown, remove bananas and place on a dish. Drain any excess oil from pan. Place pan back on stove heat on low. Place brown sugar, margarine and melt(I had little lumps of brown sugar for awhile, I pressed them out as I stirred). Then add Carmel topping and stir. Then add bananas back to sauce and stir around sauce. Let sit until your ready to assemble crepes. You can turn off if the crepes aren't done yet. Then you can reheat if needed before you place on crepes(the sauce should be warm when placed on crepes).





To assemble the dish, get the plates you are going to be using. Place crepe on plate. Spread a layer of whipped cream over crepe (I had some whipped cream and cream cheese whipped together for a topping  already on hand). Then place a spoon of banana sauce over cream side of crepe(single layer bananas across the side of crepe,you don't want it to think ,then it will not fold well). Fold crepe in half. Then in half again. Place in middle of plate and drizzle Carmel over top. 

When I folded the crepe, the cream and the warm sauce starting oozing out the sides OMG...
Of course I had to have some of this. So I took my fork and knife and dug in. Not too much though, it was sweet, but oh so good. There was even a little crunch from some of the brown sugar. If you let it sit a little bit the crepe absorbs the sauce and still Mmmmmmm!






I also did a crepe with just a layer of cream in the middle and the banana sauce over the top of crepe. 
You can make this with anything you like. How about using some Nutella instead of bananas with a chocolate drizzle. Or another one of my favorites is, blackberries cooked down with a little sugar, instead of bananas. Don't forget about nuts,you can use those too. You can also just make this recipe for dessert. Use your imaginations.

Remember have fun and make it yours!

And that's the "DISH" for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment