Monday, February 20, 2012

Pretzel Time.....




OK, so I was talking to my camping cousin Tina and she wanted to know if I would make a soft pretzel . And so the search began. I googled to see what information was out there and then had to figure out how I was going to make it mine. I ended up with three recipes and so came to be a recipe of my own. In making any recipe we always learn if it doesn't quite turn out how we envision it to be, we know what we have to do different the next time it's made. This is what I went through with my pretzel recipe. So take a look at the recipe. There are a lot of variation you could due with this dough like, add shredded parmesan or asiago cheese, jalapeno & shredded cheddar cheese, Italian herbs with garlic,and on the sweet side, cinnamon sugar just to name a few. You could make a combination platter with all those flavors. This recipe make about 12 pretzel depending on what size you make. I fit 6 to a baking sheet. Well, give it a try, plain or flavored, flat or fluffy(hahaha. just in case it doesn't rise). I'm sure this is going to taste good.


Soft Pretzels
Ingredients:

4 tsp rapid rise yeast           
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water

4 cups flour(I used all purpose)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1tbsp oil

Baking Soda solution
1/3 cup baking soda
3 cups hot water
1/4 cup  kosher salt, for topping

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast with 1 teaspoon of sugar in 11/2 cups warm water stir and let stand for about 10 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl (I used my counter top mixer) combine flour, brown sugar, salt, oil and then add yeast mixer. Mix and then knead 6-7 times until smooth, not sticky and form into a ball, place in a greased bowl, turn over until coated with oil.  In a warm place cover and let rise until doubled in size about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a medium size bowl dissolve baking soda in hot water.

After dough has rise, place onto a slightly floured surface and cut with pizza cutter into 12-14 strips depending how large or small you want them.(or however you choose to divide). Roll each piece into a rope(I sprayed the area I was working on with cooking spray not flour it's easy to roll) and twist into pretzel shape then dip into hot baking soda solution. Next place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
Bake for 10 minutes. As these pretzels bake, they smell so good. The aroma is a buttery scent filling the air. Wait and you will see what I'm talking about.

They should have a nice brown pretzel look. Now I know, the baking soda solution is what gives that brown color to the pretzel. I definitely noticed that on my first batch. The part on the dough that didn't get the solution wasn't as brown.

Remove from oven and brush with sweet butter.  Of course before you even plate them, you are going to break one apart, watch the steamy goodness rise up and with that buttery scent, take a bite. 
You can plate the pretzels how ever you like. I served mine with mustard and nacho cheese sauce for dipping.

Remember, have fun and make it yours!


And that's the "DISH" for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment