Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Well, I never have been someone to follow a recipe to the T. I have always had to improvise for something.  Usually when I'm making a new dish I pull out at least two recipes if not more and check out the ingredients. I compare them, then I make it my own by picking the ingredients I want from each for my recipe.  When I
don't have those certain ingredients I improvise.  Using something I have on hand instead of whats listed.  You will see this in my Taco Pizza recipe below....

Taco Pizza

Ingredients:
16 Inch Crust

4 cups Flour (  I used GM all purpose)
1 packet of rapid rise yeast ( I used red star)
1 cup Milk (warm)
1Tsp Sugar
1 Tsp salt
Olive Oil or any cooking oil

Pizza Topping

1can Pizza sauce (1-2 cups of sauce)
1 can Refried Beans ( small standard can 16oz)
1 Packet of taco seansonings
1lb Ground Beef (or ground turkey or chicken)
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (or your choice)
Sliced Black Olives (optional)
Diced Onions (optional)
Shredded Lettuce
Sliced Avocado (optional)
Diced Tomatoes (optional)

Warm milk(in a large enough bowl or measuring cup to hold two cups of liquid) in microwave for about 1 minute, then add sugar stir, then add yeast, let sit. Now place flour in a bowl, add salt, then milk mixture. Mix together by hand or in a mixer with bread hook. Add oil as needed for smooth texture. If dough is dry add a little warm water. Place dough back in bowl and let sit.

First let me tell you, you can use all the ingredients for the topping or just a little. Make it your own!
Mix the beans with the pizza sauce and the taco seasoning(I used spaghetti sauce it worked just as well. I had quite a bit of leftover sauce though). Fry the ground beef and drain the oil put aside. Prep the cheese, olives, onions, lettuce, tomatoes and avocado.
Now take your pizza pan or sheet pan and rub it with oil or you could use a cooking spray. Take the dough, place on floured surface so you can roll it out to the size of the pan. Once you've done that, place dough in pan and press it out to the sides. I like my crust a little thick so I pushed more dough to the out side of pan. If your putting it on a round pan ,for the thick crust I roll the edges under. You can make it however you like, thin crust or thick. Once dough is ready spread you bean and sauce mix over top of dough then spread ground beef and some cheese( maybe half the amount listed). Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-18 minutes or more. Depending on how you like the crust. When baked to your liking remove from oven, let cool 5-10 minutes. Then add lettuce,onions, cheese, tomatoes, olives and avocados. You can put the veggie toppings on however you like as much or little as you like. Then sit down and enjoy!

And that's the Dish for tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment