Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Veggie Wraps

I don't know about you, but I like to change up what I'm having for lunch day to day, if I can. I always try to think of something different, then the regular sandwiches. So, the other day, I looked in the refrigerator and I seeTortilla shells. My first thought was a veggie wrap.  I start grabbing veggies, I think would be good in the wrap like cucumber, alfalfa sprouts, tomatoes, onions, lettuce and cheese. As for my dressing I find two items I can use, ranch dressing and cream cheese. Of course you could add more or less veggies  to your taste. For my husband's wrap I usually add ham or turkey lunch meat too. This recipe is easy and you can make adjustments anyway you like, use your imagination.

Veggie Wraps
Ingredients:

2 tortillas (I used burrito size,your choice of flavor)
4 oz cream cheese (soft, I used Philadelphia)
4 tbsp ranch dressing(I used fat free Hidden Valley)
1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
1/2 cup thinly sliced tomatoes
1/4 cup thinly sliced onions
1 cup alfalfa sprouts
1/2 cup shredded cheese(your choice)
1 cup shredded lettuce(your choice,I used a bagged lettuce)


First I heat my tortilla shell for about 20 seconds in the microwave safe plate.  Then spread cream cheese all over tortilla about 1 inch from sides. Next make a layer of each item cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, sprouts, lettuce and cheese. Then I drizzle the dressing over top.

For rolling, I start at one end, tucking in tortilla and roll(using both hands, it's usually pretty full). I don't tuck the sides in(you can if you like, but I like the open end look). Then I cut diagonally in half.

You can plate this with chips or a side salad(like potato or macaroni). You can make different variations with this idea like add lunch meat, tuna salad, chicken strips, sun dried tomatoes with pesto, mozzarella, fresh strawberries and balsamic vinegar, endless ideas. You could also do a dessert, nutella and marshmallow fluff, peanut butter and jelly, fresh fruit and cream just to name a few.

Remember, have fun and make it yours.

And that's the "DISH" for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment