Thursday, February 16, 2012

What's is a Kalache?


So, Yesterday I was having a conversation with my sister. She said, her neighbor told her about this bread roll called Kalache that she had in Texas.  My sister right away tried to look it up on the intranet. She said she couldn't find anything, so I tried while was on the phone with her. I found the correct spelling for them and the business her friend was talking about. And so the search began. I searched the intranet for this recipe. There must be millions of recipes out there, wow. So, I picked the two I liked the best and Made It mine!
I research the presentation of them,  ingredients, instructions and an created a recipe I thought I would enjoy. It could be a sweet or savory roll. I chose to do savory. Before I share my recipe and experience.
I just want you to know, it tasted how I envisioned it would be. Unfortunately I don't have many pictures this time. You all can envisioned it, I'm sure.You can be like me and make adjustments, add flavors and seasonings to the dough too. You can use this dough like a pastry (fruit filled or cheese filled) or with something savory (like fill it with bacon & scrambled egg, just ground sausage,cheeses & herbs, hot dog, sausage links etc.).  Well have fun with this and enjoy,

Dough
Ingredients:

2 pkgs Rapid Rise Yeast
3/4 cup Luke Warm Water
1 cup Sour Cream ( I used a light)
1/2 cup Butter (I used 1 stick unsalted butter)
1/2 cup Sugar (save 1tbsp aside)
1 1/2 tsp of Salt
2 Eggs
4 1/2  cups of Flour (I used all purpose)

Add yeast to water and 1 tablespoon of sugar and let stand for about 5 minutes. You can warm the sour cream and butter about 40 seconds in microwave. The butter should be close to melted. You can also warm  them individually if easier then combine. In another small bowl ,slightly beat 2 eggs.

Now in a large mixing bowl (I used my counter top mixer) place flour, sugar,salt, butter, sour cream and eggs, beat on low with dough hook until its starts coming together on hook ,then add yeast and water mixer. If the dough looks like it might be too tight (stiff) then add a little more warm water. You want the dough soft and a little sticky to your finger. After dough is mixed, while the dough is still in mixing bowl I knead it about 4 or 5 time. Then let the dough rise till doubled in size about 30-40 minutes in a warm place.

Next step you divide the dough into the size you need for your roll. I made 6 rolls weighing about 50oz. The rest of the dough I put in the freezer(We will see how that turns out). So on a cookie sheet, I placed parchment paper, then I formed my dough into a balls then slightly flatten it like a disk. I placed them evenly apart so when they rise again they wouldn't stick together. Next you have to cover and let the rise till doubled in size, about 3o minutes. (The dough is so light, I was afraid to roll out, but was fine.)

In the meantime while the dough is rising you should be getting your fillings ready. I used a fully cooked beef brat sausage.

When the dough has risen, on a floured surface place the dough and roll out with rolling pin, ablong shape.You want enough dough, so that when you place the link at the top of dough and start to roll there should be at least a half inch on each side. You should able to roll link at least 3 times in dough. As you roll the link fold sides in. Place on tray already lined with parchment( I used the same tray). Next you want to brush the top of  dough with a beated egg and also while your rolling the dough around the link you can put a little on that last flap of dough to ensure it doens't come apart too much.

Ok, now bake at 350 degrees for 25- 30 minutes
The Bottoms get a lot browner. The tops just golden brown, light.

I wrapped one in parchmant paper for the "to go "". You will aslo see I put sesame seeds
on one and on another a little garlic salt on top. These were about the size of a 6 inch sub.

You are going to love the aroma this puts out while they are baking. Wonderful, my  house smelt so good.

Well, there you have it, have fun and remember, make it yours.

And that's the "DISH" for today!


No comments:

Post a Comment